Occupational Therapy Advice and Information

Answer the question below for helpful advice and information...

Dropped kerbs and Hardstandings:Info Icon

Question Image

Dropped Kerbs

If you want to lower the kerb in front of your property and provide vehicle access to a hard standing parking area, you will require consent from the council to do so. Consent has to be given by the Highways Department to lower the kerb, and provide a crossover (vehicle access over the footway). There will be a charge made by the Highways Department for the assessment and consent.

Disabled Parking Bays on the road outside a property are considered to be a more economical option by Local Authorities to resolve issues of parking difficulties for people with disabilities. However these will also need an assessment by the Highways Department to determine whether the area is appropriate for such a provision and whether it would be safe to the remaining environment. There will be a charge for this visit and assessment of the environment.

Hardstandings, that have been requested through Local Authority for possible assisted funding, are only usually considered where existing on-street parking is considered unsatisfactory and a marked disabled parking bay is not possible or where it affords a more economic solution than providing additional paths/ramping from the roadside. However if you are self funding then you can deal directly with the Highways Department about what works will be approved.

Hardstandings will always require an associated cross-over/dropped kerb for vehicle access. They will not be approved without this provision.


A useful resource with information, guidance and advice for everyone to look at when considering hardstandings and dropped kerbs in England, with an option to link into the Welsh site for their specific guidance, on the internet is:




Sizes required for a Hardstanding

Depth: 6m from back edge of footway or rear edge of shared surface carriageway.

Minimum Width:

  • 3.30 m for somebody who is mobile with/without walking equipment.
  • 3.60 m for somebody who relies upon a Wheelchair for their mobility.
  • Ensure that there is 900mm minimum unobstructed width within the surrounding space of the hardstanding
  • 2935 mm required at the rear of the car to allow for use of ramp up into rear of the car with the wheelchair.
  • 1450 mm space required to the side of the car used by the person with a disability to give sufficient room to carry out transfers from and to a wheelchair with/without assisted technology e.g. a car hoist but with the assistance of a Carer.



For more information of what is the best option for you, get in touch with us.